If you’re considering ambitious renovations, a grand design of your own or if you just need a valuation for your building society, we recommend Landmark Chartered Surveyors.
Landmark’s Survey & Valuation Division provides clear, impartial guidance in relation to all aspects of residential property.
Regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Landmark is a dedicated, innovative and professional firm which is truly independent, and uses the latest technology to ensure their surveys provide you with all the information you need to make the right decision. They are also able to provide Energy Performance Certificates for both residential and commercial properties.
Things couldn’t be easier with Landmark. Their jargon free and open approach ensures that you will always be given the best advice – in plain English.
Surveys and professional services
Landmark's range of services have been fine tuned to help homebuyers and sellers make successful purchases and sales.
Landmark Buyer Surveys
This is the most popular report which is ideal for most standard properties. Written in a fresh and direct style, each report comes with some great features.
This is the best report for older or larger properties, particularly where construction is unusual. Also, they are essential where you already suspect a problem, or need more analysis.
Specific Defects Reports
This is for if there is a specific problem that needs looking at. This may be recommended to know the cost of a particular repair (structural movement and damp are common areas of concern).
Some sellers will want to protect their sales against surprises late in the day which cause large renegotiation of the sale price. These are prepared before marketing and shown to buyers.
Surveyors sometime have to recommend further investigation or advise you to check the cost of repairs before buying. In association with Specialist Xpress, a market leading supplier, we offer a range of services, from drain scans through to engineers and damp reports. All are delivered quickly and give the definite answers you need.
Why a survey helps you buy:
- Usually, it confirms that you’re right to buy the property. Nearly all people who have a survey go on to buy the property. What they have, though, is a clear view of what they are taking on and what they’re likely to need to spend on the house in the next few years.
- It means you spend your money on the things you want to. Money’s always tight when you move and the last thing you need is unexpected problems soaking up cash that you’d ear-marked for furniture or finishings.
- You’ll know if there’s any problems that aren’t obvious. Most of us look around a house a few times before buying, but it’s hard to get a good look and often the seller is with us. Surveyors can look through without disruption and with the benefit of years of experience.
- It gives an objective view for us to work with. It’s a fact that most of us buy with our hearts and not our heads. There’s nothing wrong with that and it’s important we aspire to better things. However, it’s invaluable to have a view from a trusted source that tells us also what we need to hear, not just what we want to, particularly when it comes to condition and value.
- Landmark reports don’t leave you high and dry. If the property needs further investigations or you need to get hold of estimates in a hurry, Landmark reports gives a route through Specialist Xpress for the extra help you need.
After you’ve moved:
- Advice about repairs or improvements. Often you'll get round to tackling repairs or improvements some months, or even years, after settling in, and will require advice.
- Structural alterations/extensions. We can handle everything for you, from plans through to completion, and make sure you get a quality job without overpaying contractors.
- Friends and family who want a survey will welcome being told of a good quality surveyor in your area. If they go ahead, you will receive a £25 voucher.
- You may have investment (buy to let) properties which by law now need safety checks.
- Valuations for probate, tax or matrimonial reasons.
- Advice on Leasehold Enfranchisement/Lease extensions.
Frequently Asked Questions about Surveys
I’ve had a report from the Lender – isn’t that a survey?
Mortgage Lenders want to make sure that their loan is safe and that’s why they ask for a valuation of the property. The report used is a valuation not a survey and it’s written for the Lender, not for buyers. So, it may mention some problems but the list won’t be complete and the valuation only mentions things that will affect the value enough for the Lender to be interested. If the loan isn’t high, the Lender will sometimes use historic sales data to confirm the value without having it inspected.
So, the only way to get a good picture of what you are taking on is through a survey prepared with you in mind as the buyer.
Aren’t surveyors always negative and don't their reports put you off?
Some have been, but you need to look for a surveyor who tells you the truth whilst putting it all in perspective. At Landmark, we’ve worked hard on giving positive advice – we start our reports with an ‘Overview’ section to so that you can get the big picture before reading the detail. It means that you’re not put off, even if there’s a lot of small things wrong with the property. Look at the features of the Landmark report and you’ll see how positive, clear and straightforward are reports are!
If I have a valuation through a Lender, can I still have one of your reports or do I have to go through them?
The Lender will usually insist on using a nominated valuer to do the valuation that they need. You are always free, though, to commission a condition survey of your choice, so look for the survey and the surveyor who will do the best job for you. If we can do the valuation at the same time, we will.
How long does it take to get the report back?
Reports should be back in 5 working days, unless there’s a problem getting an appointment with the seller.
Is Landmark linked to the RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)?
Yes, all our surveyors are RICS qualified and, as a firm, Landmark is regulated by the RICS. Some of the surveyors have additional qualifications for areas they specialise in.
Call Landmark Chartered Surveyors free today on 0800 876 6002.