Safety regulations

Find out how to be safe, and not sorry, as a landlord – with our guide to the strict safety regulations designed to protect tenants from avoidable hazards.

Safety Legislation

As a landlord you must comply with the following legislation:

Gas Safety Under the Gas Safety Installation and use Regulations 1998

There is a legal requirement that all gas appliances are checked and certified every year by a Gas Safe Register engineer. A record of this must be kept and a copy provided to the tenant within 14 days. Andrews can organise this for you for a small fee.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulation 1993

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulation 1993, plus amendments, make it a criminal offence to let a property with upholstered items that do not comply with the safety regulations.

The regulations apply to beds, mattresses, sofas, cushions and other soft furniture, These must carry a label showing fire resistance. Any non-compliant furniture must be removed from your property before letting.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993

As a landlord you have a legal duty to ensure all electrical appliances are safe. Obtaining an Electrical Equipment Safety Certificate (EESC) is not currently a legal requirement. However you will be legally liable if your tenant suffers injury or is put at risk because of faulty electrical goods or wiring so we recommend that all landlords obtain such certificates.

A Portable Appliance Test (PAT) is suitable for most properties.

Andrews can organise this on your behalf.

And if you have a solid fuel appliance in any rooms, they’ll need to have a carbon monoxide detector installed in them.

These are things we can organise for you.

Energy Performance Certificates

As a landlord you must comply with the following legislation:

Energy Performance of Buildings Regulations (2007/991)

You must ensure that a certificate is available prior to marketing and that it has been provided to Andrews.

Immigration Act

You must comply with the requirements of the Immigration Act. It is your responsibility to ensure that all tenants living in your property have a right to rent in the UK. We will undertake these checks as part of the referencing process.

Houses In Multiple Occupation(HMO)

HMO Licensing

As a landlord you must comply with the HMO licensing in England under part 2 of the housing Act 2004 legislation. Your property may require a HMO license and it is your responsibility to determine this with the local council.

Additional and Selective Licensing

You may require an additional or selective license before you let your property and it is your responsibility to determine this with the local authority.

HMO Planning Consent and Licensing

You may require planning consent to let your property as a HMO and it is your responsibility to determine this with the local council.

Control of Legionella

you must comply with the health and Safety at work Regulations and Management of Health and Safety Work Regulations in relation to the control of legionella bacteria in water systems. It is therefore your responsibility to assess your property and follow the practical guidance given in The Control of Legionella Bacteria in Water Systems, Approved code of practice and guidance l8 (2nd Edition) in order to manage and control any risks.

First Time Landlord Guide

Thinking of becoming a landlord? Start by reading our guide.

Landlord tax guide

Wondering what the taxman will charge for being a landlord? Find out here.

Andrews Guide to Property Surveys

Find out how a survey can help in purchasing your buy to let – and the services offered by our surveyors.

Buy to Let Guide

Get the inside track on everything Buy to Let-related. Learn what the term really means, together with advice on how to approach buying one.

Safety Regulations

As with most things in life, safety comes first. Learn what you need to be aware of as a landlord

An explanation of fees to landlords.